We are called not only to respond to the material and spiritual needs of the individuals who turn to Loaves & Fishes, but also to advocate with them and for them. Therefore we call upon the community to be aware of its responsibility in both the causes and solutions of hunger and homelessness, the absence of basic health care, unemployment, and attitudes which rob our sisters and brothers of dignity, self-respect and self-confidence.
- Philosophy Statement of Loaves and Fishes
- Be a Resource For and Support the Advocacy Work of Each Program: Advocacy on behalf of our guests at Loaves & Fishes is ongoing and interwoven in each program. For instance, Maryhouse has been actively involved in addressing the lack of shelter for women and children, Jail Visitation with criminal justice issues and Mustard Seed in advocating for homeless children and families.
- Be a Consistent and Persistent Presence On Behalf of the Homeless: In the tradition of biblical prophets such as Isaiah, the religious community is called upon to speak truth to power. Show up and speak up on behalf of the homeless and very poor at every opportunity everywhere from government meetings to church groups to the media.The fact that Loaves & Fishes does not accept government money, frees us to speak the truth in a way that other social service providers cannot.
- Empower our homeless guests to advocate for their needs
- Concentrate on particular areas of Focus: organize efforts to address high-priority needs and keep the pressure on the powers that be to take action regarding:
- Services to help people while they’re homeless
- Need for affordable housing for homeless and very poor individuals and families