Genesis is a free mental health program of Loaves & Fishes which provides services for homeless adults who do not have insurance nor do they meet the target population for Sacramento County Mental Health programs. Our program offers one-on-one counseling, supportive groups, social services connections, and other mental health resources.
The name Genesis comes from the idea of creating a “new beginning” in one’s life. It is based on the philosophy of a Wellness Wheel which looks into four aspects of the person, mental, physical, emotional, and spiritual, that may need attending. Many of our homeless guests are looking for a new start and direction in their life. Genesis offers avenues and steps towards their own sense of well-being and empowerment.
In an environment of acceptance, compassion, and respect, the team at Genesis supports the mental health needs of our guests at Loaves & Fishes.
By recognizing the value and potential of each person, our therapists and social workers assess individual need and promote person growth. Through outreach, advocacy, empowerment, and counseling, we seek to develop coping skills, improve interpersonal relationships, and enhance self-esteem. In so doing, our guests discover the path to mental and emotional well-being.
- Genesis has been a program of Loaves & Fishes since July 2001.
- Accepts no government funds.
- Conducts outreach to homeless persons throughout the Sacramento downtown community.
- Staff consists entirely of master’s-level professionals.
- Provides free mental health services to homeless adults who do not have insurance and do not meet the target population for Sacramento County Mental Health.
- Is the only place in Sacramento County that offers free individual and group counseling to homeless men and women.