1. I am interested in volunteering, what do I do?
In order to be considered for volunteer placement, you must be at least 14 years of age and attend a Volunteer Orientation. The schedule is as follows:
Days & Times: Every Thursday at 10:00 a.m.(by appointment only)
Duration: Approximately 2 hours
Location: Loaves and Fishes Welcoming Center. 1351 North C Street, Sacramento, CA 95811
Phone: (916) 637-2444
The Volunteer Coordinator will discuss the various programs needing volunteers and give a tour of the facility. At the end of the orientation, you will have an opportunity to fill out a volunteer application to indicate your area of interest and your schedule availability.
2. Can I fulfill community service hours at Loaves and Fishes?
IF YOU ARE A STUDENT (age 14 and over) and need to complete school community service hours, we have a weekend program available for you. You do not need to attend an orientation, however, you do need to sign up with the Volunteer Coordinator's Office in advance as we only take twelve students per day on the weekend. Your work hours will be 7:00 a.m. until 1:30 p.m. Jobs include food preparation, cleaning the dining room. Bring your paperwork with you so the Kitchen Manager can sign and validate your hours.
Remember, it is important that you arrive on time and prepared to work. Late arrivals will not be allowed to serve. Additionally, if you are being picked up, your transportation must arrive on time as well. Minors cannot be left alone to wait for rides, and this inconveniences staff greatly as they must wait if a minor's ride is delayed.
IF YOU NEED TO FULFILL COURT-ORDERED COMMUNITY SERVICE, you must contact the Tommy Clinkenbeard Legal Clinic and meet the following criteria:
- Offender must be a current guest of Loaves & Fishes
- And/or the court judgment specifically designates Loaves and Fishes as the location to complete community service
- Juveniles must contact the WIND Youth Center:
701 Dixieanne Ave,
Sacramento, CA 95815
Days/Hours: Mon-Fri, 8am-4pm
3. What is the best way to contact the Loaves and Fishes Volunteer Coordinator?
4. What is the minimum age for volunteering?
You must be at least 14 years of age to volunteer.
5. I attended a Volunteer Orientation and have not been called to
Volunteers are assigned based on volunteer openings that match their availability. Should openings become available, you will be contacted.
6. I want to volunteer as a drop-in.
Volunteers must be scheduled in advance. You can, however, be an ON-CALL volunteer if you have volunteered with us before or attended an orientation.
7. I would like to volunteer for Jail Visitation.
Attend an orientation, fill out an application, and it will be forwarded to the Program Director of Jail Visitation. A background check and clearance is required of all volunteers in this program.
8. If I am representing a group, do we all have to attend the
Only the contact person or group leader needs to attend. Please keep your group size to 5 or fewer.
9. My group wants to do a special project.
Let us know the details and nature of project, and the Volunteer Coordinator will contact you.
10. My group cannot come in as scheduled/the size my group has
Contact the Volunteer Coordinator's Office and tell them your name, the name of your group and the date your group is scheduled to serve. A 48-hour notice would be appreciated.
11. I have things to donate to Loaves and Fishes.
Donations can be delivered to the Warehouse between the hours of 7:00 a.m. and 2:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. Monetary donations are accepted at the Administration Office.